1. Don’t get discouraged- A lot of the time when women want to lose weight they want to have lost it yesterday. With that being said it is very easy for people to get discouraged and quickly. If you don’t see results that first week a lot of people throw in the towel. Resist the urge to do so. Remember the weight your trying to lose didn’t come on in a week and it will take longer then a week to lose it.
2. Don’t compare yourself to others- When you try and lose weight with another person that might sound like a great idea you have someone to go on this “journey” with you. But if that person is your spouse they will likely lose weight faster then you which is fine you just have to keep that nugget of information in the back of your head while working out. If you have a gal pal working out with you and she is doing well and you’re not don’t think that what you are doing is wrong or not working. You might need to alter your food intake if she is taller then you she can usually get away with eating more then you. So as a general rule of thumb its best not to compare.
3. Consider your past- When looking to get fit for the future look at your past. What has caused you to gain weight? How many diets have you tried over the course of the last few years? After you answer the tough questions you can gain clarity on the future and help set your goals for your weight loss.
4. Nutrition plays a vital role- If you workout every day and then come home & binge on wine & potato chips, & dark chocolate you probably will be undoing everything you just set out to accomplish. Make sure you are mindfully watching what you’re eating and not just eating the first food you see after you get home from the gym.
5. High intensity training is the way to go- When you’re at the gym the best thing you can do is perform high intensity interval training which means you are not taking a ton of breaks in between sets, you are lifting heavy weights, getting your heart rate going while lifting. When doing cardio you are doing the same thing going as fast as you can then resting alternating between that for your workout. For more information on HITT training check out http://safiretraining.com/try-a-little-tabata-in-your-life/
6. Figure out your whys- Why do you want to lose weight? Have you put on pounds over the course of the last decade or do you always want to lose 10 pounds? Once you figure out the exact why to weight loss you will have a better understanding of what your true goals & intentions can be.
7. Crunches alone won’t get you that 6 pack- Crunches won’t get you that flat stomach alone. You will have to do more then just crunches, abs are made in the kitchen. Plus when looking to get your abs in tip top shape planks are your best bet.
8. Hard work does pay off- Persistence pays off and sticking to a plan will help you lose weight. The problem with most of us in todays society is we constantly want to change and can’t stick to a plan. Those who do well with their fitness plans stick to them. They realize fitness is a lifestyle and its not something that you can do in January then forget about it the rest of the year.
9. There is no magic pill- Forget about the idea of taking a pill to help you drop 50 pounds, it doesn’t exist. This is the lazy way out and you have no idea of what those pills do to your heart. Don’t give in to the propaganda by the companies trying to sell you the magic pill.
10. Find an accountability partner- Find someone that will help you with your goals, motivate you to workout, and help hold you accountable if you don’t make it to the gym, if you want to eat the heaping plate of fries instead of the broccoli as a side dish. This person can be a friend, trainer, or spouse.
Next time you hear someone say they want to lose 10 pounds give them a few tips and send them over to SaFire Training to sign-up for our bi-weekly newsletters to receive even more fitness tips & inspiration.
In good health,