For those of you who know me you know that Downton Abbey is my new favorite show. Yes, I'm just getting on the bandwagon now. It really happened by accident, I had a free trial of amazon prime and it recommended that I watch Downton Abbey. I thought sure lets give it a shot. Well after the first few episodes I was hooked. For those of you who are thinking how does this relate to fitness well below are the 5 tips that I have learned from watching Downton Abbey that we can apply to our own lives.
Downton Abbey Fitness Tips:
- Go outside: You will see various characters going outside taking a walk with a friend, or walking their dog, or even walking with their spouse while hunting. The characters enjoy getting a bit of fresh air. Notice you never see them going for a run or on a strict routine they just move everyday.
- Hire someone: The "upstairs" folks have the "downstairs" folks at their disposal. They help make their life easier, just like a personal trainer does for someone. A good trainer will not only give you a great workout but plan out what your week or month will look like in advance. Unless you are a movie star you probably do not have the disposable income to have a trainer with you 24/7 such as the Downton Abbey characters would. That doesn't mean you can't utilize their expertise and motivation to help you reach your fitness goals.
- Plan your meals in advance: At Downton Abbey the "upstairs" folks never have to think about what to eat each day. They are served by Mrs. Pattimore & her kitchen staff. The only one doing the meal planning is Mrs. Pattimore. Now unless you can afford a full time cook you are probably the one creating the menu and cooking everyday. While, take a page from Downton Abbeys book and plan ahead for your weekly meals. Not only will that save you time on a day to day basis but it will also help you eat healthier.
- Socialize with friends: It seems that Lord Grantham is always having friends over for dinner or visiting his friends in their castles. One of the key things about becoming & staying healthy is having a good network and supportive friends & family around you. Not only does Robert & Cora open their home to friends & family they stick by each during the tough times, for instance the end of season 3. Socializing with friends also makes working out more enjoyable knowing you have an accountability partner waiting for you at the gym each day.
- Don't over indulge: It is never lady like to overindulge in Downton Abbey. The females are to know their limit when it comes to alcohol consumption and never want to appear intoxicated. This is a good rule of thumb when your having a glass of wine to wind down from your week. Remember one glass of wine for females & two for males have health benefits over that amount do more harm than good to the body. We all saw Mr. Molesley dancing up a storm at the end of season 3 in Scotland you don't want to be that guy or gal.
As you can see there are many great health tips we can learn from watching Downton Abbey. The characters have the right idea of what it means to be healthy and act accordingly. We just have to look a little outside of the box to catch all of the health benefits they are offering to us. Can you think of another health tip you that Downton Abbey teaches us? If so comment below. As always check out new fitness tips & inspirations that I only share with my readers each Wednesday.