Monday, September 24, 2012

Interval Training-What is it?




What is interval training?  Interval training is when you are going as hard as you can for a specified amount of time you than rest or have an active rest for a specified amount of time.  See example below

2 Minutes- at 85% of your max heart rate or on a scale of 1-10 you are at an 8.  
1 Minute-at 50% heart rate or on a scale of 1-10 you are at a 2.
*Repeat this for 20-30 minutes.  

Can Intervals be done on any apparatus?
Yes you can do intervals on the treadmill, bike, elliptical, stair master.

I recently went to a fitness conference where I learned the wave of the future of intervals I will share with you the workout below!! I personally tried it and burned 500 calories in the 30 minutes doing the workout so I highly recommend it if you have no heart issues.

3 in 1 workout
*This workout can be done again on any cardio apparatus-I did mine on the treadmill.  Also if you have a heart rate monitor it helps you during this workout.

First 10 minutes:
20 seconds at 95% of your max heart rate 
40 seconds active rest 


Next 15 Minutes:
50% max heart rate the entire 15 minutes

Last 10 Minutes:
30 Seconds at 95% of your max heart rate
90 Seconds active Rest 

*I will write the exact program I did personally for you visual learners (Like myself)
On the treadmill
20 Seconds- I ran at 9.5/10mph
40 seconds- I walked at 3.5mph

On the Elliptical/Pre-Cor
15 Minutes- I kept my heart rate around 65% instead of 50%

On the Treadmill
30 Seconds- I ran 9.5/10 mph
90 Seconds-I walked at 3.5mph 

Burn those calories!!


No comments:

Post a Comment