Sunday, October 21, 2012

Working to fight childhood obesity

I recently was listening to Michelle Obama speak and it reminded me about the childhood obesity epidemic going on in this country.   I have not worked as a teacher this last school year but have talked to friends who are teachers.  They are sharing with me the dilemma that is going on in the classroom with students who are overweight.

1. They are getting bullied.
2. They have no energy.
3. They lack self esteem
4. Lack of friends
5. Don't like to participate in gym class

This is not entirely their fault their parents have not educated them to make correct choices.  Now I understand sometimes the parents lack the education themselves.  I have discussed with parents do you know what to feed your kids?  A lot of times they don't know and say there is too much information out there and get overwhelmed.  I understand the confusion and I think it is the job of fitness professionals in the community who have the knowledge to step up and educate society.  So I am asking anyone in the Twin Cities if you want to partake in a movement and want to help let me know.  I am organizing a group who will donate time to help educate families and schools on the proper nutrition and activity needed for growing kids.  Message me below or shoot me an email at safiretraining@gmail.com.

 Thanks and here is to a new movement in MN!

No comments:

Post a Comment